Borrell: Operation Aspides secured passage of 68 ships in Red Sea

The press conference (EU)

Borrell: Operation Aspides secured passage of 68 ships in Red Sea

news

الإثنين, 08-04-2024 الساعة 11:17 مساءً بتوقيت عدن

Aden (South24)  

European  Union (EU) foreign policy official Josep Borrell said on Monday that the Aspides military operation in the Red Sea has succeeded in securing the passage of 68 ships since its launch on February 19.

The announcement came during a press conference in which Borrell spoke alongside the commander of Operation Aspides, Greek Navy Commodore Vasilios Griparis.



Borrell pointed out that EU forces have responded to 11 attacks by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia so far, adding, “This is clear evidence of our readiness and ability to enhance international security and protect maritime routes and goods.”

Borrell highlighted the cooperation between Operation Aspides and the US-led Operation Prosperity Guardian in protecting international navigation and confronting the Houthis.

Borrell said that movement in the region, which accounted for 13% of global trade before the Houthis’ attacks began, has decreased by half, a number that includes ships that were passing through the Suez Canal.

In turn, Griparis, who heads all Aspides missions, explained that nine drones and four ballistic missiles launched from Houthi-controlled areas have been intercepted.

On February 19, the EU’s Operation Aspides was launched with the participation of four European military ships and about 800 soldiers from 19 countries, including France, Germany, Italy, Greece, and Belgium.

According to Agence France-Presse, Operation Aspides is purely defensive and has the right to fire in self-defense or defense of commercial ships, but cannot strike Houthi targets on the ground in Yemen.


South24 Center

Yemen Yemeni crisis EU Houthis Red Sea Josep Borrell Aspides Vasilios Griparis Navy commander Prosperity Guardian