Hadi government and Houthis the mainly responsible for attacks against media workers

English Reports

الثلاثاء, 13-10-2020 الوقت 01:45:04 مساءً بتوقيت عدن

South24| Aden

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) warned, on  tuesday,the warring parties in Yemen of "intolerable attacks against the press," pointing to what the Yemeni Journalists's Syndicate revealed about 22 violations of press freedom in the country between July and September 2020, ranging from arrests and threats to assaults and banned coverage. 

The International Federation of Journalists said that a recent report of the YJS referred again to the internationally recognized government of President Hadi in Yemen and the Houthis, who lead the de facto government in Sana'a, as they are primarily responsible for attacks against media workers.

The International Federation said, in news published on Tuesday, that "the government committed nearly half of all registered violations while the Houthi group is currently holding 16 journalists who were kidnapped, many of whom had been held for more than five years," according to the Yemeni Journalists Syndicate.

Most of the incidents that occurred between July and September consisted of threats and incitements to hatred (6), arrests (5) and refusals to enforce court decisions (5). In addition, the union listed two assaults on journalists, two prosecutions, a case of banned media coverage and the confiscation of a journalist’s property.

In turn, the Yemeni Journalists Syndicate condemned the continuing abductions of journalists who have exercised freedom of opinion and expression and freedom of the press as guaranteed in the Yemeni constitution. It demands the government and Houthi Group release all detained and kidnapped journalists and respect international laws and conventions guaranteeing media freedom.

According to the IFJ, a previous report published this year by the Yemeni Syndicate showed 66 violations of press freedom in the first half of 2020.


Mourners and protesters holding pictures of Yemeni journalist Nabil Hasan al-Quaety who was killed in June. Credits: AFP

Mourners and protesters holding pictures of Yemeni journalist Nabil Hasan al-Quaety who was killed in June. Credits: AFP

The union said it supports the YJS's efforts to improve the press freedom situation in Yemen and condemned the kidnappings, threats and murders of journalists.

 In April, the IFJ sent a letter to UN General Secretary, Antonio Guterres, calling for support in its efforts to protect four journalists who are currently sentenced to death in Yemen.

“This latest report proves that press freedom remains under serious threat in Yemen and we find these attacks totally intolerable. It is particularly worrisome that the de facto government in Sana continues to lead the war against the media. We call on the warring parties to release all imprisoned journalists, drop the death sentences against journalists and provide for an environment where journalistic activity can be exercised without fear.” IFJ General Secretary Anthony Bellanger said.

The International Federation of Journalists attached its report to a photo of mourners and southern protesters carrying photos of journalist Nabil Hasan Al-Quaiti, who was assassinated in June 2020 in Aden, by gunmen.

The security authorities in Aden have not yet released any details about the incident, or whether investigations are being conducted to uncover the killers.

- South24

Journalist Yemen Hadi Government Houthi Nabil Hasan